Anyone can make a report concerning the safety of a vulnerable adult. To make a vulnerable adult report, you may:
- Call Adult Protective Services (APS) Intake at 507-328-6400 M-F 8 am to 5 pm
- Email directly to APS Intake at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call Connections and Referrals Unit (CRU) at 507-281-6248 nights, weekends, holidays
Information that is helpful when you report, but not required:
- The name and address of the vulnerable adult
- The name and address of the person causing the maltreatment
- The date and time of the alleged maltreatment
- Details of what happened, when, where and how
- Is the vulnerable adult still at risk
Maltreatment of a Vulnerable Adult is:
Abuse: (MN Statute 626.5572, subd. 2 [a] and subd. 2[c])
- Physical or Emotional: conduct, intended or not, that produces physical or emotional pain or injury
- Verbal: words or gestures that threaten, harass, disparage or humiliate
- Sexual: violation of criminal sexual conduct or sexual contact between facility staff and a resident or client of that facility
Neglect: (MN Statute 626.5572, subd. 17).
- Refusal, failure or omission of a caregiver that results in the deprivation of essential services or supports to obtain and maintain the mental, emotional, and physical health of the vulnerable adult.
Self Neglect: (MN Statute 626.5572, subd. 17).
(MN Statute 626.5572, subd. 17).
- Act or omission by a vulnerable adult that could result in the deprivation of essential services or supports necessary to obtain or maintain health, safety, or comfort.
Financial Exploitation: (MN Statute 626.5572, subd. 9)
- The use of a vulnerable adult’s person or property for another person’s profit or advantage, or the breach of a fiduciary relationship, such as a power of attorney, conservatorship, or representative payee.