The Olmsted County Sheriff's Office has a Reserve Deputy position. When an opening exits with the Sheriff's Office Reserves, candidates must meet the P.O.S.T. Board Standards for either full-time or part-time license eligibility.
Part-time Reserve Deputy Membership Requirements:
- An opening in the Sheriff's Reserves exits.
- Complete the application process through Olmsted County Human Resources to include an oral interview.
- Applicant has or is eligible for activation of the Minnesota Peace Officers Full-time or Part-time License. Applicant is responsible for licensing fees.
- Applicant is at least 20 years old.
- Application is not engaged in a job that conflicts with the duties of a deputy sheriff.
- Applicant will be required to attend training, meetings and duty assignments.
- Applicant is not engaged in or foresees any civil lawsuits or is the principal in a criminal investigation or prosecution.
- Applicant will pass a prohibited criminal history background check, including fingerprints sent to the BCA for state and national checks.
- Application will pass both a medical and psychological evaluation.
- Applicant must have a valid Minnesota Driver's License with an exemplary driving record (free of any major traffic violations for the last three years).
- Applicant does not have a less than honorable discharge from the Armed Forces.
- Applicant meets financial obligations.
- Applicant must reside within a fifty (50) mile radius of Rochester.
- Applicant will supply a firearm and holster in accordance with the Sheriff's Office Firearms Directive.
- Applicant will successfully complete a firearms training course including legal limitations on the justifiable use of deadly force and the Sheriff's Office deadly use of force directive.
- Applicant will successfully complete a Minnesota P.O.S.T. required advanced first-aid course
- Approval by the Sheriff.
Reserve Deputies meet and training on a monthly basis along with meeting monthly volunteer hours requirements. Our Reserve Deputies are responsible for the Sheriff's Office Boat and Snowmobile Patrols.