Cash and Food Assistance


In partnership with the Minnesota Department of Human Services, the Olmsted County Financial Assistance Office works to help people with low incomes transition to economic stability. Economic support includes cash assistance programs, food support, child care assistance, child support services, refugee services, employment services, and health care programs.   



ApplyMN is Minnesota's secure, online system you can use to apply for cash assistance, SNAP (food support), emergency help, and child care assistance programs.    


To get started, visit Minnesota Human Services Online to use an online pre-screening tool find out if you might qualify for benefits and to register for a user ID and password.


If you already have a user ID and password, you can log-on to ApplyMN directly.

Apply Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) 

The SNAP Program (formerly called Food Stamp Program or Food Support) is a county-run, federal program that helps low-income households get supplemental food needed to attain sound nutrition and well-balanced meals. For more information about SNAP.

Apply General Assistance (GA)

The program provides cash assistance for single adults without children, and childless married couples who are unable to work. This includes people who are elderly, ill, injured or otherwise incapacitated. For more information about GA.  

Apply Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA)

This is a state-funded supplement cash assistance program for people who receive Social Security Income (SSI) benefits. For more information on MSA. 

Apply Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)
MFIP provides work supports, temporary financial assistance, and food assistance (SNAP) to low income families with minor children, and low income pregnant women. The purpose of MFIP is to help families transition to economic stability. MFIP parents are expected to work and are supported in working. Most families can get cash assistance for only 60 months. Some families in Minnesota are eligible for the Diversionary Work Program (DWP). This program helps families in crisis who are new to public assistance, or have been off of assistance for at least 1 year, to move quickly to employment. For more information about MFIP and DWP.  

Apply Refugee Assistance at
Refugee Assistance helps refugees in making the transition to life in the United States. Services include resettlement and placement, cash and medical assistance, and employment and social services.

The Refugee Assistance Program provides federal funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Refugee Resettlement to the states for refugee assistance.

Refugees are people who have had to flee their country of origin and are unable to return because of a well-founded fear of persecution. Most refugees resettled over the last two decades have been Southeast Asians, but more recently the population has become more diverse with people from countries in strife such as Bosnia, Somalia, Sudan, Liberia, Iraq and the former Soviet Union. For more information about Refugee Assistance.