Permanent Residence Outside US

Citizens of the United States who are permanently residing outside the United States are entitled to vote in Minnesota if they maintained residence in Minnesota for at least 20 days prior to leaving the United States. A Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) must be completed and submitted to the county office in which they last resided.

Availability of FPCA Applications
A Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) may be obtained from:


United States citizens permanently residing outside the United States are only eligible to vote for Federal offices: President, Vice-President, U.S. Senators and U.S. Representatives.

Required Information on Absentee Ballot Applications
You must provide your Social Security number or Passport number. If you cannot provide one of these identification numbers, the application must be signed by an authorized official. The authorized official may be a notary, another individual authorized to administer oaths or a military officer with the rank of sergeant or above.

What if I don't receive my ballot?
Military and Overseas voters who submit timely absentee ballot applications but do not receive their ballots or those concerned that they will not be able to return their ballots in time to be counted may submit the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) as an alternative. The Minnesota Military and Overseas Voter Service also has a service to help voters complete the FWAB.