Who is eligible to vote?

You are eligible to vote in Minnesota if you are:

  • At least 18 years or older;
  • A citizen of the United States;
  • A resident of Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding the Election Day.

How do I register to vote?

To register to vote, you can do any of the following:

Stop by our office Monday through Friday 8am - 5pm and complete a voter registration application.

Download, print and complete a voter registration application from the Minnesota Secretary of State's website: http://www.sos.state.mn.us, bring it in or mail to us. You can also click here for the application.

Send an email request for a voter registration application to: elections@co.olmsted.mn.us. Be sure to include your name, address, telephone number, and how many voter registration applications you would like mailed to you.

Call (507) 328-7650 and leave your name, address, zip code and the number of eligible voters in your household. Voter registration applications will be mailed to you.

What if I have changed my name or address since I last registered?

Any previously registered voter who changes his or her name or address must re-register to vote. A change of name or address requires a new registration and a new signature from the applicant.

To register, please see the "How Do I Register To Vote?" section of these FAQs.

If you have moved since last registering to vote, it is important to update your voter registration information so you are voting for the candidates who will represent you.

Why should I pre-register?

Pre-registration ensures convenience and quicker service when you arrive at the polls on Election Day.

You can register on Election Day, however you will need to bring proof of residency with you.

Please note there is a registration cut-off prior to every primary and every general election of 20 days before Primary Election and General Election Day. For registration after the cut-off, the best thing to do is register at the polls. ]Please check with our office for accurate dates.

How do I register on Election Day?

You will complete a voter registration application at your polling place.

Be sure to bring one of the required following forms of identification showing your current address:

  • Minnesota driver's license, learner's permit, identification card, or receipt for one, with your current address
  • Tribal ID**
  • If the Minnesota license, Tribal ID or MN State ID has a former address, you may bring a recent utility bill* to use with your license
  • "Notice of Late Registration" postcard
  • U.S. passport with utility bill*
  • U.S. military photo ID card with utility bill*
  • Prior registration listed on roster at former address in precinct
  • Oath of a registered voter in precinct ("vouching", see below)
  • If you are a student, you can use...
    • Student ID, registration, or fee statement with your current address
    • Post Secondary Student photo ID with utility bill*
    • Post Secondary Student ID if you are on a student housing list on file at the polling place
  • For those who live in a residential facility. including nursing homes, battered women's shelters, homeless shelters and other licensed facilities, an employee who will vouch that you live there (if the facility has provided the county with a certified list of employees)

  • Vouching: A voter may register and vote by having someone who is registered in the same precinct “vouch” for their residence. The voucher may be pre-registered in the precinct or have registered on Election Day (but not by being vouched for). The registered voter signs an oath attesting (or vouching) to the new registrant’s residence in the precinct. Vouchers within the polling place on Election Day can vouch for up to 15 voters, as long as they personally know the voters live in the precinct.

*Note: The utility bill must have your name, current address, and be due within 30 days of the election. Utility bills may be for electric, gas, water, solid waste, sewer, telephone, cell phone or cable TV

**Tribal identification cards that contain the name, address, signature and picture of the tribal member will have the same status as a Minnesota driver license. Therefore, such tribal identification cards are sufficient proof of identity and residency, and may be used without any other documentation to register to vote on election day in the precinct in which the address on the tribal identification card is located, without regard to whether the tribal members live on or off their tribal reservations.

Tribal identification cards with a photo that do not contain any address or a current address can be used in combination with a current utility bill to register to vote on election day in the precinct in which the address on the utility bill is located.

What if I am not registered but still want to cast an absentee ballot?

If you are not a registered voter, you can still register and vote by absentee ballot. A voter registration application will be included with your absentee ballot materials. The completed application is returned with your voted ballot. The voter registration application cannot be returned separately.

Are you interested in serving as an election judge?

Election judges are an integral part of the election process.

The hours for working on Election Day are 6 AM until votes are counted after the polls close at 8 PM. Election judges may serve as many hours as needed in the precinct to which they are assigned. All judges must attend a training session before working at the polls on Election Day. If you are interested in serving as an election judge, please fill out the Election Judge Application Form.