Phone: 507 328-7629 Fax: 507 328-7397
Application hours are 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday
COMPLETE AND SUBMIT YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION
(MN Statute 517.00) State of Minnesota requires both applicants to appear in person for the processing of the marriage license application.
- The 5 day waiting period begins after both signatures are secured and the fee is paid to Olmsted County.
- You may apply up to six months in advance of the wedding.
- If one of the parties is unable to appear, a supplemental application is available to secure the signature of the absent party.
$40.00 with premarital education completed
Application Fees are non-refundable
- There are no special requirements for non-citizens. If you do not have a social security number, enter all zeros in the space provided for the social security number to certify not applicable.
- If you need a Waiver of the 5-day Waiting Period, please contact the Olmsted County Marriage License Office at 507 328-7629 for instructions.
- Please Note: If the applicant finds an error after they have signed the application, there is a $25 fee for correction.
Online Marriage Application Link
Reduced Fee Requirements
In order to qualify for the reduced fee, the parties must submit a signed and dated Educator's Statement from the person who provided the premarital education confirming it was received. The premarital education must be provided by a licensed or ordained minister or the minister's designee, a person authorized to solemnize marriages under Minnesota Statutes, section 517.18, or a person authorized to practice marriage and family therapy under Minnesota Statutes, section 148B.33. The education must include the use of premarital inventory and the teaching of communication and conflict management skills.
The statement from the person who provided the premarital education must have the specific wording on their business letterhead stationery, signed and notarized or under church seal. They can follow the format found in Minnesota Statutes, section 517.08 subd 1c:
For your convenience, we have included a link to a Pre-Marital Educator's Statement template. Pre-Marital Educator's Statement Template
Educator's Statement Requirements
- The names of the parties in the educator's statement must be identical to the legal names of the parties as they appear in the marriage license application.
- This document must be clear and legible and on 8 1/2 X 11 paper.
Any questions, please call 507 328-7629